Monday, January 30, 2012

America: Ventura Highway.


The vocalist and writer of the song Dewey Bunnell has said that the lyric "alligator lizards in the air" in the song is a reference to the shapes of clouds in the sky. One day in 1963 his family was driving down the coast from Vandenberg Air Force Base near Lompoc, California and they had a flat tire. While his father changed the tire, he and his brother stood by the side of the road and watched the clouds and saw a road sign for "Ventura".





Single by America
from the album Homecoming
B-side: "Saturn Nights"
Released: October, 1972
Genre: Rock
Length: 3:32
Label: Warner Bros.
Writer(s: Dewey Bunnell
Producer: America

4 comments:

Paul 2 said...

Ah The good old us 101, boy do I know that road, driving it from Pismo Beach to Hollywood and back a few times a month for a year.

Patti said...

I have only been to California one time in my life...4 years ago on a trip to the Redwoods. So I am absolutely not familiar with that stretch of highway. But I DO love that song. As I've told you, it's one of the few songs from the "rock" genre which I have on my MP3 player.

I never knew what the "alligator lizards in the air" meant...rather thought it had something to do with a drug high. Thanks for informing me that it's about cloud shapes. (I have always loved looking at the clouds and finding crazy images in them.)

Thanks for this great video.

Have a great day,
Patti

Paul 2 said...

Patti, the Ventura Freeway (the 101) from the other side of Westwood to about Goleta (North Of Santa Barbara) has among the worst traffic in the country. I should know. Some time you should make the drive from OR. down the 101 thru the Coastal Redwoods, it's one of the most amazing drives anywhere in the world. I love it except when it's rainy .

Dawn said...

I have driven through there only a handful of times. It is a beautiful drive.