Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Paul Revere and the Raiders: Kicks.


"Kicks", is believed to be the first anti-drug song. After the Animals had a hit with "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place," Terry Melcher, who produced the album, asked the song's writers Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil for something similar for Paul Revere and the Raiders. They sent him this song in which they were hoping would help Gerry Goffin,(who was Carole King's husband, at the time) get off drugs.




Released: May 6, 1966
Recorded: 1966
Genre: Pop rock, garage rock
Length: 29:08
Label: Columbia
Producer: Terry Melcher



6 comments:

Paul 2 said...

Dawn, This is too funny, I was looking at Kicks the other day as was thinking about posting it. Great minds think alike LOL.

The Radiers and the Byrds wewr the first two rock groups signed to Columbia records after Mitch Miller left the label. He HATED ROCK and would not sign rock bands. Both bands had Terry as their producer.
Dawn, do you know what song both the Radiers and the Monkees recorded, I personally like the Radiers version better, bit the Monkees had " The Hit."

Paul 2 said...

Dawn,Great work. This is the first version. The Monkees was a "Cover"

Patti said...

I usually show my age here, because when you post 60's songs, I'm often clueless. I have never heard of this song before.

But I do love their costumes!

Dawn said...

Paul, LOL.. I almost posted this video last week.. Thank you, for sharing the fun facts.

Patti, When I first saw Paul Revere and the Raiders costumes, I thought they were weird. :)

Paul 2 said...

Patty, you better sit down Paul is from Bosie, he met Mark at a bakery in Caldwell.

Paul 2 said...

And Dawn, The Radiers and The Kingmen recorded Louie Louie at the same studio there seems to be doubt as to who did it first.